Saturday, March 29, 2014

Purse Contents


Day 10: The Contents of My Purse
Entire contents of my purse

I chose to clean out my purse because I'm staying with Sam in a hotel outside of Chicago for his U16 soccer tournament. All I have with me is my car, my suitcase and the contents of my purse. 

I recently switched purses and I feared I would not find anything to throw away.

I was wrong.



What I kept: 
  • Driver's license
  • Library card
  • Credit card that gives frequent flier miles
  • Sunglasses
  • Reading glasses
  • Dramamine, ibuprofen, and albuteral
  • AAA card
  • Lipstick
  • Kleenex
  • ATM card
  • Tampons
  • Michigan Theater membership card
  • University of Michigan employee identification card
  • Smart phone
  • Extra set of scooter keys
  • Forever stamps.

The Trash
What was missing: 
  • The $138 receipt for faculty and senior flowers for Emma's last musical, which I need if I want to get reimbursed by the parent-teacher association
  • Cash. People with teenagers have no cash. Teenagers leak cash from their parents' wallets like a hole leaks air from a balloon.

What I threw away: 
  • Three-year-old eyeglass prescription of Emma's
  • Expired Ark membership
  • Expired Costco membership
  • Expired medical flexible spending card
  • Expired duplicate AAA card
  • Expired frequent buyer discount card for Plato's Closet, a used teen clothing store
  • Frequent buyer card for cupcake bakery where Sam and I bought a birthday present three years ago and to which we have not been since
  • Business card for TIAA Cref representative; feels like we will never be able to retire.
The Pending File
What I put in a holding place pending resolution: 
  • The lifetime warranty form for my Stormey Kromer hat, which I filled out and will mail as soon as I get an envelope, using the forever stamp I kept
  • The UM Credit Union home equity credit card, which I activated and put back in my wallet
  • The scooter registration form, which belongs with the scooter now that Sam is licensed to drive it
  • Bank account information for my parents, which I will be responsible for managing when my father dies. It's difficult to type the words "when my father dies." At first I chose the words, "If anything happens to my father," but that makes it sound as though he's a spy leaving for a dangerous mission on foreign soil. I replaced that with "if my father dies," but that's silly. He's not sick, but he's already several years older than his father got to be. So. When my father dies I will be responsible for finding these slips of paper, and following his instructions, and so I must put these in our metal box in the basement where we keep our passports and birth certificates, as soon as I get home.


No comments:

Post a Comment