Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Staplers

Day 340: Staplers
Think of all the resolutions a person could make to become happier and healthier. I've got several myself. A half-hour of yoga every day. At least seven strands of needlepoint a week. Forty-five minutes of aerobic exercise six days a week. Reading a minimum of three articles in The New York Times every day. Daily dog walks. Twice weekly dog brushing (that last one is new). And, of course, the stuff project.

I wonder, sometimes, if the structure and busyness of all these resolutions masks deeper things, like nail polish over grass-stained nails. I've adjusted quite nicely to Emma's being away. Will I miss her more when the stuff project is over?

I consider myself quite lazy. I never try to do my best. I only try to do the minimum. In my mind, this is strategic. Why do more than is necessary to accomplish the goal? This is why a doll boot or a few books or a broken WaterPik suffice. Or still more office supplies.

Office supplies. They are still coming out of the woodwork. Why do we have three of them? Strangely enough, all three work. I elected to keep the retro gray one. The other two went into the Gardens to become part of the office supply shelf.

Lazy or strategic, many days I would rather just go home and crash with a cup of hot tea and a steampunk romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment