Friday, February 13, 2015

Winter Scarves

Day 329: Winter Scarves
I spent a good fifteen minutes staring at the bookshelves this morning. My dad suggested that I get rid of a book a day through the end of the stuff project, a scant 36 days from now.

But books flow into the house like water through a window screen. A single book isn't in the spirit of the stuff project; if I get rid of only one per day, I'll end up with a net gain. My rule has been to get rid of at least five books to make it count.

Well, I couldn't find a single one that I want to get rid of. I'm at a tipping point. To get rid of five more books would require a revolution in my personal library philosophy.

The books that are left fall into these categories:

(1) I like looking at them (art books)

(2) I enjoyed reading them so much, there is a good possibility I will read them again

(3) I enjoyed reading them so much, just looking at them gives me pleasure

(4) I haven't read them yet and I intend to

(5) They don't belong to me.

Although I can appreciate the clutter-free peacefulness of dozens of empty shelves, I'm just not ready. These two wool scarves, which have been hanging from a hook in the basement all winter, are a reprieve.

Thirty-five days and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment