Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Chicken Stuff

Day 244: Chicken Stuff
The Craig's List guy didn't exactly no-show.  He sent me a text saying he had to work late and had a game at 8, and could he come tonight instead? So here it is 6:15 and I'm waiting to hear from him for the second night in a row. Here's what I know about him: 

- he has an iPhone
- he has a salaried job and sometimes works late
- he likes to go to hockey games
- he plays a sport
- he has 70 chickens
- he responds quickly to texts and emails
- he lives or lived in the 517 area code district
- he doesn't always keep his appointments

It is about 15 degrees right now, and because I am planning on his sweeping the chickens and their stuff out of my life, I have not put out the water melter. I understand from my farming co-workers that chickens don't need water if there is snow on the ground.  There is snow on the ground, and it is my dearest wish never to put the snow melter out again because of the extreme hassle factor involved in running an extension cord 100 feet around the back of the garage and through the snow to the chicken coop.  I sincerely hope Joe Chickenkeeper shows up before the snow disappears and the temps stay low.

There seems to be a widespread belief among my friends and family that Craig's List respondents are, at best, flakes, and at worst, dangerous psychopaths whose goals in life involve getting you alone somewhere to murder you in cold blood, or getting your home address and schedule details so they can rob you blind, or sending you on wild goose chases to public places so they can laugh up their sleeves much as I did as a child after calling random phone numbers to ask "Is your refrigerator running? Better go catch it!"

I hope this guy is the real deal. Phone still hasn't rung.



No comments:

Post a Comment