Saturday, November 1, 2014

Microscope and Slides

Day 226: Microscope and Slides
When Sam and Emma were young, I wanted to open all the world to them, all the possibilities and opportunities. Thus, when my father gave us this microscope and slides, I imagined, because they loved the outdoors, that this might spur them to a passion - even a profession - in science.

But to a non-scientist like myself, the view through the microscope is more akin to abstract art than a window to the world. Sure, the slides are pretty. The little glass rectangles are labeled: tree sap, sugar, or soil. They don't resemble their regular selves, seen through the microscope. It's interesting that sap looks that way through a microscope, bumpy and dotty and ropy (or whatever). The colors even look different. About as interesting - and for about as long - as the abstract art gallery at the Detroit Institute of Art. Luckily, at the DIA, they have sharp pencils and pads of paper for when the kids get tired of looking.

In my mind, looking at slides through a microscope is hands-on. But if you're an Arts & Ideas major, all you can really do it look. You can't understand.

No thanks to me, both my kids have exceeded me as scientists. Emma Jane was the only freshman BFA student to take physics, and she's getting an A. (Lord knows why, but she loves physics.) Sam is going strong in his high school's innovative science program, where all the disciplines are taught seamlessly together every year.

Recently, I sent my friend Lisa an email asking whether my hens have two X-chromosomes. Her answer? "Nope. A Z chromosome and a W chromosome. In birds, the ovum determines the sex." This means nothing to me, even after I went to the Wikipedia link she attached to her answer. Nevertheless, I love that she knew the answer. I'm happy this microscope and accompanying slides will get a second life at the Summers Knoll School, where Lisa volunteers. I hope that she'll use her deep knowledge to help the kids understand what they're seeing. And help them love science.

1 comment:

  1. Lmao! My "deep knowledge"! I've sure got you hoodwinked! I had to look it up myself, then I linked you to Wikipedia and didn't bother to explain it! It just means that instead of girls having two X chromosomes, and boys having one X and one Y, like in people, in chickens it's the boys that have two Xs and the girls an X and Y. Except they don't call them X and Y in birds, they call them Z and W. In people, the sex the offspring is determined by the sperm, which will have either an X or Y. The egg always has an X. In chickens, it's the opposite. That's it! (Just nod and smile and say "Okay" and I will go away)

    ReplyDelete