Thursday, October 2, 2014

Unmailed Thank You Note


Day 196: Farmer's Almanac, Unmailed Thank You Note and User Guides
Remember how I said I don't miss birthday parties? I found some actual physical evidence of one reason why: a goofy thank you note from Sam to Dylan, along with a $.41 stamped addressed envelope (which in case you're wondering, was the rate in 2007, the year Sam turned nine).  The note gives no clue as to what the gift was. Is it a form letter? It certainly reads that way, although I can't believe I would have permitted that.  I'm pretty sure I didn't actually compose the note, although the envelope was addressed in my hand. 

When Sam was nine, he was allowed to have nine buddies at his birthday party. Nine friends, plus three sets of grandparents, plus eleven aunts and uncles and twelve cousins, equals a lot of thank you notes. Sam's birthday is June 13, often the last day of school. (Mine is June 9 and I truly once believed that all the partying, celebration and release were in my honor.) As far as thank you notes are concerned, a June 13 birthday is ideal because the notes do not compete with homework, school days, soccer, basketball or anything else. No reason a nice little word-processed thank you note shouldn't be tucked right into the envelope and off to the mailbox.

Ah, well.  Of mice and men.

Also on the same shelf in the attic, where I am taking another pass at finding more to get rid of: ancient Adobe user manuals and a 2006 Farmer's Almanac. 



No comments:

Post a Comment