Sunday, October 19, 2014

Picture and Mat

Day 213: Picture and Mat
My housekeeper folded this
lithograph of an attic, which
my high school art teacher made

I always liked this picture
but it had water damage.
Often, repurposing old stuff costs more than buying new stuff. Cost in dollars, of course, not environmental costs. This unfortunate truth is perhaps one reason we keep buying more and more.

Case in point. Today, I decided to solve two problems at once, by getting rid of an old water damaged lithograph and putting some lithographs by my high school art teacher into the frame. The mat completely disintegrated when I took the picture out, so I had to make a run to Michael's to get a new mat cut. As long as I was going to Michael's, I decided to purchase a frame for a second litho (also by my high school art teacher).

You've probably already guessed the end of the story: the new frame - double matted - cost $10 less than having a mat cut for the frame I already owned.

I thought about just buying two new frames, but the old one is pleasantly aged. I like it. It has some sentimental value, too. It belonged to my Uncle Sherlock, a hoarder who, now that I think of it, is worthy of at least one blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment