Saturday, October 4, 2014

Warranties and Instruction Manuals

Day 198: Warranties and Instruction Manuals
Looking through our warranty and instruction manual box is a walk down Memory Lane. It's also another one of those moments where I must confront the discrepancy between my self-image - not acquisitive - and my inventory, which is still large, even on day 198.

I just read a very interesting article about refrigerators. Americans have much largers ones than Europeans. They use a lot of energy - more than any other appliance, because they run 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you fill them up, they require less energy, which means spending more at places like Costco, which (what do you know?) means eating more. Replacing your refrigerator with a smaller model strikes me as even more radical than replacing your car with a bicycle. Where would you even buy a small refrigerator? Would you have to remodel your kitchen, because don't most cupboards have a standard (very large) refrigerator opening?

Our warranties and instruction manuals are a guide to every appliance we own now or have owned in the past sixteen years, except for the warranties and manuals I undoubtedly lost before I created this box. In the "get rid of" category are: two manuals for electric ranges (I don't recall ever purchasing an electric range) and one for a Whirlpool double-over gas range that exploded within weeks of our buying it; a CuisinArt toaster manual; a GE manual for a sound system that came with this house, which I just got rid of a few weeks ago (too bad I didn't know I had the manual or I would have included it); a cordless telephone user's guide (remind me, what is a cordless telephone again?); an instruction manual for an Ibanez electric bass (no, it doesn't teach you how to be a musician); two Bosch dishwasher instruction manuals (we've had to replace our dishwashers every couple of years - we blame the kids); an alarm clock portable speaker for iPod limited warranty (did we ever own one of those? we don't now); caution warnings for an Easy-Bake Oven; installation guide for an Anderson storm door; a manual for Alesis Studio Electronics (what the hell is that?); the Glyph GCR Series Quickstart Manual (ditto); a Farberware coffee percolator use & care instructions (sorry, it's already busted); owner's manuals for two TVs that we no longer own.

Taken all together, it's a pretty depressing list. All that stuff, bought, used and forgotten, parked in a junkyard most likely. Next time, perhaps I'll just wash the dishes by hand, or make my own music. But let's face it, I'm not going to eat my food raw.

No comments:

Post a Comment