Sunday, April 20, 2014

Carbon Copies of Checks

Day 32: Carbon Copies of Checks and a Big Tuition Payment
Our friend Derek, inspired by the stuff project, got rid of carbon copies of old checks and suggested I do the same. I found carbon copies of checks dating back to 2002, which neither Rich nor I have looked at or used for any reason. When I do our taxes annually, I look at the check registry to make sure I haven't forgotten a charitable donation. When I forget to tell Rich I've written a check, he can just click on the link in our on-line statement and see an image of the actual check.

Why are we keeping these? Why do we even order checks that have carbon copies? What a waste of trees and storage space. Note to self: next time we order checks, change the style to nix the carbon copies. Thanks for the suggestion, Derek.

Oh, and one more thing we are getting rid of today: big fat tuition payments to Emma's private high school. Was it worth $1900 a month for four years? Who knows? She seems to have turned out well, though, so I can't complain. Would we do it again? Most likely.

On my wish list now that I've got a lot more money: a really good haircut, a gym membership, and a working garage door. On my wish list that I probably won't buy, at least until we've built up our savings a bit: a new car, a Vespa and wooden instead of 15-year-old plastic Adirondack chairs.

3 comments:

  1. No college payments? *That's* a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart kid with scholarships + lots of savings by ourselves and generous grandparents = no college payments from income. Lucky us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea on the single checks with no carbon. Been meaning to do that for years. And have fun with that extra money....

    ReplyDelete