Saturday, April 26, 2014

Computer, Printer & Other Electronics

Day 38: Computer, Printer, VHS Tapes, ADATs and More
Fight!

I left the house for less than an hour, and when I came back, I found this:




Rich was moving old electronics out of the studio in a wheelbarrow! His plan was to take it directly to the drop-off center ... without even telling me! 

How will I ever get through an entire year of giving something away every day if my own family sneaks stuff to the dump when I'm not looking?

And all this only a few days before the Ann Arbor Public Schools and the University of Michigan team  up for their e-recycling event. eWaste has those all-too-familiar stats associated with it: Americans are the biggest waste generators, annually we discard an average of 65 pounds of it per person, almost 10 million tons of it end up in U.S. landfills per year, blah blah blah.

Okay, okay, hurt me daddy I'm bad.

On the plus side, if you recycle, a lot of the raw materials can be reused. If you can resist the temptation of the latest shiny object, computers and other electronics have a much longer lifespan than they once had.

The e-recycling event reminded me a bit of a rock concert, what with the orange traffic cones, young men in reflector vests and baseball caps, long lines of cars and semis in the parking lot. They took everything.



No comments:

Post a Comment