Monday, April 7, 2014

Dictionary

Day 19: Dictionary and More Books
I used to open the dictionary at random just to see if there were words I didn't know on the page. My favorite book. The heft of it. Its translucent onion-skin pages. Fifteen definitions for every word. Alternate pronunciations. History.

I found this on the bookshelf when I cleaned it out. \Emma and my mom, at Halloween 12 years ago.
Aren't they cute?
But I haven't used a printed dictionary in years. They are a thing of the past. On-line, you can find every word or phrase under the sun. In the printed dictionary, some words are there, and some are missing. Like the S word. Or proper nouns.

Who needs the dictionary? There's an app for that.

I'm ruthless. A favorite historic mystery, Medicus, and its sequel went in the mail for a friend. A few old travel guides went to the Thrift Shop. Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker went to a single mom co-worker who has to get dinner ready for herself and her girls every night. Ditto Fromer's Guide to Chicago with Kids.

Half-empty bookshelf: a sight I haven't seen in many years. Must. Not. Fill. Shelf. With. More. Books.





5 comments:

  1. But don't you already have books piled on top of the shelved books, just waiting for their space on the shelf? And we have 9+ bookshelves in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but I can't move the other books into the void because then I'll lose track of which books I've already gone through. I'm going to have some half empty shelves and some overfull shelves, no way around it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know know where you are coming from - I got rid of our encyclopedia brittanica a few years ago and it felt wrong even though it was out of date and was not going to be used again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *whispers* I still prefer to look up in a regular dictionary. I have the one my parents gave me before I went to college and another older one with really great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should write a book about your blogging experience!

    ReplyDelete