Saturday, April 5, 2014

Clocks & Watches

Day 17: Clocks and Watches
Everyone in our little family is punctual. Very punctual. While other mothers spend their mornings shouting at their children to wake up, get up, hurry up and get a move on, I am more likely to have to reassure them that we have plenty of time, that we will not be late, and that, even if we are late, being late is not the end of the world. 

Every room in our house has multiple clocks. 

I should shroud the clocks. I don't recall Anne Elliott and Captain Wentworth ever making an appointment for a specific time of day. I like to imagine that they retired when the sun set, woke when the sun rose, ate when the sun was at its zenith, and met in the afternoon.

I have five watches. One, a classy Citizen water-resistent high-end diamond-chipped piece, was a gift from the University upon my tenth anniversary of employment three years ago. It is the only watch I have worn since the day I got it. It is comfortable, attractive, and sells for $300, which means I don't want to lose it. The reason I have so many other watches is that I formerly lost them about as often as I lost cheap sunglasses. Which goes back to the china shepherdess. Maybe if I'd bought myself a classy Citizen years ago, I wouldn't have had to buy all those Timexes.

Three of the watches went in the give-away box. I'm not 100% confident that I won't lose the Citizen, so I'm keeping a Timex back-up. I also finally removed the mounted GE clock radio that I have hated since we moved into this house over eleven years ago; we put it in the car and drove it directly to the Salvation Army. 

I replaced the battery in our wall clock. For several weeks, it has said the time is 3:58.

2 comments:

  1. I have a large bag of watches and I would have trouble getting rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think until Sam is old enough to get a real job he should put as many watches as he can fit on each arm and go downtown and try to sell them!

    ReplyDelete