Saturday, May 24, 2014

Another Bookshelf


Day 66: Another Bookshelf 
Elizabeth and Karl both wanted Grandma Betty's bookshelf. Now what?

I bought this shelf at a flea market in Oakland, not long after I moved to San Francisco. It is the first bookshelf I ever bought, heavy old hardwood with hinge marks in the wood. Used to be, it had glass doors, or so I suspect. I moved it across the country to Ann Arbor and painted it blue on the outside and green on the inside, and decorated it with swirls and daisies for Emma's room. But now Emma loves her black IKEA shelves. This has been relegated to the attic with all the other empty shelves.

I've decided.The Oakland flea market shelf goes to Karl, who needs a shelf for his classroom at Summers Knoll School. It is larger, more solid and decorated for kids. If it stays at the school after he leaves, all the better. Old furniture like that is sturdy enough for hard use. I can remember it fondly, without it actually cluttering up my attic.

Grandma Betty's shelf goes to my sister, because she loved Grandma Betty too, and will appreciate the craftsmanship and keep the shelf in the family. Maybe I'll even get it back someday, if ever I need another bookshelf. I can visit it.

Letting go, but not quite.

No comments:

Post a Comment