Sunday, May 18, 2014

Clothing

Day 60: Clothing
I found another shocking statistic: that Americans purchased an average of 60 pieces of clothing per year in 2013, compared with 30 pieces in 1993, because of the proliferation of cheap textiles. For kids, that makes a lot of sense. When they're babies, they need a whole new wardrobe every three months. Elementary age, it's every six months. In high school, every year.
The irony is that this was Lisa's. I could have just taken directly from her
and then taken my grocery bags of clothing directly to Kiwanis. 

For adults, what the -- ?!

A2UP's first annual clothing swap, which I attended today with my daughter and my friend Lisa, was intended to give that new outfit rush, without the social and environmental costs. The mimosas and baked goods were awesome, but even better: this blaser and silk scarf, nice enough to wear to a meeting in the Provost's Office. I left behind more than I brought, and I got to meet the learn about upcycling and the Ann Arbor Upcycle Project, a lovely new business dedicated to fun, sustainable art and crafting.


1 comment:

  1. I am SO glad you made it out to the A2UP clothing swap, and that you brought Emma & Lisa! It was great meeting you, and learning about your goal to get rid of one thing every day... what a neat concept. Happy you thought to bring your unwanted clothes to the swap, we all had a great time going through each other's things! Can't wait to have you back in the studio!

    ReplyDelete