Monday, May 19, 2014

Jewelry Chest Drawer

Day 61: Jewelry Chest Drawer
Only one thing in this 
drawer was worth keeping
This drawer contains only one thing I want: a beautiful needlepoint piece I made a few years ago and turned into an iPad case. The case doesn't fit the iPad anymore now that the iPad has a keyboard, but I might turn it into something useful someday. I'm also keeping a few items I don't really want: two eye-shadows I've had since high school, a dozen pens and a few buttons and needles. The rest went in the recycling, the garbage or the Goodwill pile.

I have been fantasizing about moving my antique furniture set into Emma's room and purchasing a queen bedroom set. Off Craig's list, of course; God forbid I should buy new furniture. The antique set doesn't suit my purposes any more, but I can't get rid of it. I've had it since I was a child. It belonged to my Uncle George, whom I don't remember, but my parents gave it to me when he died. Being from the 1920s, the set has a double bed, whereas we have a queen mattress. It has only one bureau, because in those days each spouse needed only two drawers for clothes. The vanity is large and has no purpose in life, but takes up the space in the bedroom where a second bureau might go. As a result, I don't have a bureau and all my clothes (including lingerie) are displayed on open shelves in our walk-through closet. I dream of having my own bureau someday.

But this junky drawer full of nothing makes me wonder whether getting more drawers would just be an entree to getting more junk. I wonder, would my lingerie fit in this jewelry chest?

Probably not.

1 comment:

  1. Drawers are like money, the more you have, the more you use.

    ReplyDelete