Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Jewelry Box

Day 161: Jewelry Box
The more I get rid of, the more I like my house. The more I get rid of and like my house, the more I'm willing to get rid of.

One of the very hardest categories of things to get rid of is things with sentimental value. This jewelry box is one of those things. This jewelry box - so very 70s, with its orange-gold lined drawers and fancy little knobs - is one of the few things I have left from my own childhood. But I have a much nicer, larger red chest (thanks, Mom), more useful and more beautiful. (Remember the Minimalists: is it useful? does it give joy?) The 70s jewelry box has been sitting on top of the red chest, gradually becoming emptier. Each time I wear a piece of jewelry, I put it away in the nicer chest, so that today, when I emptied the old jewelry box, there was not one thing in it of value. Now that it's gone, the room looks just a little less cluttered. A little more lovely.

A funny story about this old jewelry box. About eight years ago, I found the words "Sam sucks!" scratched into the veneer, apparently with a sewing pin. I ask you: would a smart girl like Emma go into her mother's room with a pin and scratch fighting words onto her mother's sentimental childhood object? Another question: would a mischievous boy like Sam who enjoys flying below the radar screen - one who doesn't mind seeing his sister get in trouble - be clever enough to set her up?

That's when I realized that Sam plays a deep game. 

1 comment: