Thursday, August 14, 2014

Mists of Avalon

Day 148: Mists of Avalon and Other Books

This small stack of books is one of many stacks of things Sam and I cleared out of Emma Jane's room today. I promised not to get rid of anything that belongs to her, but we found much in the room that once belonged to me. 

I never finished The Mists of Avalon. I found the book so compelling, it disturbed my dreams. The characters came to life at night and woke me from sleep. I was 16 years old, just the same age as Sam and a year younger than Emma is now. I was living in Middletown, Ohio, commuting to a small private school in Dayton and just about as miserable as a kid could be. Another book entered my dreams that same year - The Stand, by Stephen King - and I stopped reading that one, too. I don't know why I've hung onto The Mists of Avalon all these years, while The Stand is long gone.

I haven't heard a peep from Emma since I watched her walk through the door leading to her dorm hall. Rich thinks we should let her contact us first. 

I don't know if I can wait that long. 

How was dinner with her hallmates yesterday? How did she sleep, first night away from home? Did her roommate arrive today as planned? Did they rearrange the room?

Has she met anyone from her program yet? Has she figured out where to go on the first day of class?

Has she eaten any vegetables?

No comments:

Post a Comment