Sunday, August 3, 2014

Lumpy Comforter

Day 137: Lumpy Comforter
Apparently, if you're me, the cure for the blues is household projects. Three years of beekeeping has given my family welcome respite from the dust and destruction associated with constant improvements, which have ranged in scope from demolishing walls and building new ones (in different places, of course) to simple things like painting a wall.

So after Jean-Francois departed with all my beekeeping stuff yesterday, leaving me with $150 burning a hole in my pocket and nothing else but time, I headed straight for Home Depot. There, I bought two flush-mount ceiling fans, one for Sam's room, one for Emma's. Sam and I spent most of yesterday evening and much of this morning removing the hideous old fixtures, which were most likely installed in 1952 when this place was turned into a rental duplex, and installing the lovely, bright, quiet new ceiling fan/light combos. 

Emma will be filled with gratitude that her last ten days in her bedroom will be cool and brightly lit.

Although we did get rid of the dull and hideous old fixtures, that doesn't really count towards the stuff project because it was a one-to-one trade. However, changing the fixture caused fifty years of dust and rubble to fall from the ceiling onto Sam's bed, which caused us to change his sheets, which caused me to notice just how lumpy and awful his comforter is, which caused me to insist that it go straight into the Goodwill pile to be replaced with the feather comforter my mother gave me in 1980, just that much softer and more comfortable with age. A year ago, I would have consigned the lumpy comforter to the trash. That was before I learned that old nasty textiles are sold to be turned into household insulation by thrift stores.

It worked. I went to bed last night flush with the satisfaction of having finished a project. Every time I walk past the kids' rooms, I'll see the fans and feel pleased with myself. All that, for $66 and a couple hours of work. Goodbye, beekeeping, hello, home improvements.

Sorry, Richie.

1 comment: