Thursday, August 7, 2014

Quilting Books

Day 141: Quilting and Craft Books
I'm not sure these sad little quilting and craft books will sell at the AAUW book sale. In fact, I'm not even sure the St. Ignace public library will take them for free. And yet, I was reluctant to give them away. I made one quilt with them, about thirty years ago, with a Husqverna sewing machine my parents got for me when I was in college. 

My sister got the exact same machine. We were at the cottage on Clear Lake, and Elizabeth and I went into town together with my mom to choose patterns and fabrics for our first projects on the new machines. 

The end of this short story is that my sister ended the week with a beautifully tailored, perfectly fitted dress that included bound seams and double hemming. I ended with a pink and green "quilt" (I put quilt in quotes because I ran out of time for actual quilting) that never laid flat and was already coming apart at the seams before it ever lay on a bed. 

Nevertheless, I have fond memories of that week, and I still have the quilt, and the book, and the sewing machine. I use the quilt every day, the sewing machine every week and the book, once ... thirty years ago. 

Probably okay to open up some space on the shelf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment