Saturday, December 20, 2014

Broken Dust Pan

Day 276: Broken Dust Pan
I'm sitting on the veranda to our villa in Captiva, which is really a fancy word for our apartment. Inside, an employee of the resort is cleaning. Brooms and dust pans are far from my responsibility here. I notice that virtually all the guests here are white, mostly American but some European, the employees seem to be Jamaican or Hatian. I've been reading at least three articles a day in The New York Times - one of my latest resolutions - and with Ferguson and Eric Garner in the headlines, it's hard not to notice the racial disparities here. Sam says it's racist of me to notice and comment. 

So I'm aware of my privileged status here, but it is still so nice just to lounge on the beach and get some sun and not to be responsible for anyone or anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment