Thursday, December 4, 2014

Countertop Scraps

Day 260: Countertop Scraps
These scraps are so small I will never
be able to use them. Next time the
counter gets damaged, we'll have to
replace the whole thing
So far, the only thing I've gotten rid of and regretted is fabric. Most of it I don't miss, but I should have kept the sturdy fabrics that I really like. Other than that, I have no regrets. So far.

Things I put into the give-away pile and took back out again:

(1) The off-white teapot with green vines that our au pair Nicole Hinkel bought after she'd broken the third teapot in a row. I put it in the pile because I haven't used it in years, it has no sentimental value and I have a blue willow teapot that I also haven't used in years. I took it back out because it (sort of) matches the desert rose china that belonged to my grandmother

(2) The Kitchenaid kitchen timer that came free with my stand mixer. I have a manual timer that I like much better, plus a timer on the microwave and another timer on the oven. I have never needed four timers at once and I generally don't like battery-operated things. I took it back out because it's high quality and Emma will be moving into an apartment in less than two years. I put it in again because I'd rather get Emma a really cute timer, like a tomato or a pig, but I took it back out because she'll need a lot of things and it would be nice to have a few things to hand down. (Another good reason for keeping the teapot.)

(3) A plastic zippered make-up bag, pink, with a lower-case "k" on the side. It is too small to be truly practical as a travel case. Although it's nice plastic, it's still plastic, and I don't really like plastic things. I took it back out because my next-door-neighbor Barbara gave it to me as a gift, and I like things that remind me of Barbara. Also, my niece Kaeli might like it. On the other hand, last time I tried to give Kaeli a little purse, she declined, telling me she was trying not to accumulate too much stuff.

(4) A giant stock pot that I use to sterilize canning jars. For the last couple of years I've just washed the jars in the dishwasher and put the jam in them hot. No one has gotten botulism yet. I'm not sure why I took it back out of the give-away pile now that I think of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment