Monday, December 1, 2014

Pepper Grinder, Two Salt Shakers and No-Salt

Day 257: Pepper Grinder, Two Salt Shakers and No-Salt
More surprises in the cupboard, where I was rooting around looking for molasses to add to the slow-cooker beef ribs this morning. I would have said that our was not overstuffed with stuff 256 days ago. It's amazing how wealth plus space plus time equals lots of forgotten things tucked away in drawers, cubbies and shelves.

Two more of Barbara's items. If you'll recall, I promised Barbara when she moved - five years ago? six? - that I would take anything she couldn't quite part with, and either use it or give it away. Instead, I just shoved the items behind other similar items and forgot about them.

The No-Salt is a by-product of synchronized swimming. Emma drank so much Gatorade, I decided to try to make my own. Big mistake. Here are the ingredients:

Potassium Chloride , Potassium Bitartrate , Adipic Acid , Silicon Dioxide , Mineral Oil and Fumaric Acid

These ingredients taste absolutely nothing like salt. Their flavor most closely resembles the bitter aftertaste of saccharin. I wouldn't inflict No-Salt on anyone, so it's going in the garbage.

I can smell the ribs and soup bones in the CrockPot now, flavored with a little orange juice, molasses, onions, garlic, salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment