Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Owl Ring and Cross Earring

Day 286: Owl Ring and Cross Earring
Emma Jane and I got manicures today from two Vietnamese women in a strip mall off A1A. Their shop was deserted. Even though the manicures were quick and sloppy, I gave them a 25 percent tip because they were the nicest manicurists I've ever met.  Mine looked about thirty, but she said she moved here from New York in 2001 to get away from the Buffalo winters. She'd moved to Buffalo at age 21 - she didn't say why - and had lived there for 27 years. That put her age at 62.

How did she get such young skin, after walking every single day on the salty beach for 14 years? Lately, I've realized that I actually am sliding into old age: thick knuckles, sore joints, stiff hips, bags under my eyes, dull hair, bad sleep, ridged nails, age spots, sagging biceps, and, yes, crocodile skin. It's a cliche, but I can't help but be surprised.

Emma's manicurist was so delighted by the 25 percent tip that ahe turned on The Interview while we were drying our nails, which she had rented from amazon.com for 48 hours for $5.99. She was delighted that Sony had released it immediately on DVD. I believe she was saying (although I struggled a bit to understand her accent) that we are in America, a free country, and we won't be cowed by terrorists. We have the right to watch whatever we want. Also, she thought the movie was funny, and the whole family could see it over and over for two days for less than $6. It would cost more than $6 for just one person to see it at the theater.

Had I not gotten rid of the owl ring, it might have looked nicer with our lovely manicured nails, mine a tassteful buff, Emma's a fashionable oyster purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment