Sunday, June 29, 2014

Junk Email

Day 102: Junk Email
I'm making up the rules for this project as I go along. One of the rules is that I'm not buying stuff to replace all the stuff I've gotten rid of. And not buying stuff makes me realize how often I'm invited, and tempted, to buy. 

So here I am in a cabin ten minutes from the Rockies, relaxing, talking into the night with my old friend Tina, taking long hikes to mountaintops and alpine lakes, drinking good coffee in the morning and good wine at night, sleeping in, doing yoga on a deck overlooking the mountain, cooking good food. 

But we both care a lot about our jobs - we went to graduate school together and worked together for many years - so we can't resist peeking at email a few times a day. And the first thing that pops up for me is always a commercial from a company marketing something to buy. Sears. Delta. Sierra Trading Post. Groupon. Mother Earth. REI. North Face. Trulia. Amazon. Ereader. Sports Illustrated. ESite Secrets. SPN. The list goes on. And on.

So I'm here in the mountains with no objects to give away. Today I'm doing two things. One, unsubscribing to all these advertising emails. Two, creating rules to send these advertisements directly to the junk mail folder. 

At home, Rich dumps the physical junk mail directly into the recycle bin before it enters the house. Next on my agenda: junk snail mail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment