Sunday, June 8, 2014

Not My Grandmother's China

Day 81: Not My Grandmother's China
Don't worry. This is not my grandmother's china. The pattern resembles her desert rose, but this is a later manufacture. In the 1930s, chinamakers did not produce cruets with "V" and "O" embossed on their caps. Perhaps this is why I've never liked this salad dressing set, which I believe my mom found at TJ Maxx in the early '90s. (Sorry, Mom!) The "V" and "O" lack verisimilitude. 

Plus, the "V" and "O" cause this set to violate my new "no single-use kitchen items" rule. Without the "V" and "O", think of the possibilities. Maple syrup. Honey. Salt and pepper. Half-and-half. It's mind-bogling. 

Why are they ugly, when the rest of the desert rose set is so lovely? Is it the basketweave background, which the rest of the set doesn't have? Is it that there are too many roses and not enough background? Is it my eyes?

1 comment:

  1. You are in good company. Alton Brown also hates single-purpose kitchen items. http://gizmodo.com/5347140/alton-brown-kitchen-gadget-judgment-calls---yea-or-nay

    ReplyDelete