Thursday, June 19, 2014

Stuffed Animal

 Day 92: Stuffed Animal
I'm here at Ball State University for Emma's freshman orientation. They quickly separated the parents from the students - a precursor to next year I suppose - and so I am sitting alone in a sea of parents. I don't recall that my mother or father attended (or were invited to attend) orientation with me. It's good to be here though, a familiar-feeling mid-western place, clean and polite. I can see Emma chatting happily with a group of students below. I think she will be okay.

I didn't actually give this stuffed animal away today - I gave it away earlier this week - but I consider it to be a harbinger of future stuffed animals that will go away after Emma leaves home. They shouldn't just sit on her shelves or forgotten in baskets. We like to take them to the police station, where the police use them to comfort or distract children in crisis. I might keep a few, though, at least for a while.

Looking back over the last six weeks - our 18th anniversary, mother's day, a new car,  awards ceremonies, Sam's driver's test and licensing, Sam's 16th birthday, my 50th birthday (with my friends!), Emma's graduation party, father's day, my nephew's eighth grade graduation, Emma's graduation, freshman orientation, it is no wonder I am ready for a sabbatical. 

It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment