Thursday, June 5, 2014

Patrick and Other Toys

Day 78: Patrick and Other Toys
I like Patrick and SpongeBob. Squidward. Mr. Krabs. SpongeBob is such a cheerful sort, how can you not like him? Who wouldn't want to live in a pineapple under the sea? With Garry?

Today, Emma received a senior arts award, the first celebration to kick off a weekend of graduation festivities. Yesterday, Sam passed his driver's test. For me, the first big transition in life was when I left home for university. Emma is embarking on that transition right now. 

The second big transition for me was when Emma was born. I wonder. Will their leaving home be as profound? 

Many (most?) children's books are so insipid, you feel like you're going to die if you have to read it one &*() more @$!%#^ time $%^&. Praise the lord for Go the Fuck to Sleep, and Raol Dahl and P.K. Travers. I haven't had to read Go Dog, Go for ten years or more, and soon, I won't be helping Sam study or scratching Emma's back.

I like Captain Underpants and I hate Mr. Krupp. I like Jemima Puddleduck and Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail and Peter. I like the Simpsons. They're crass, stupid and self-absorbed, but they love each other. And Marge and Homer seem to have a good sex life, despite her blue hair and his pot belly. Soon, it's goodbye to all these characters as well.

Emma likens herself to Patrick. She says she's pink and soft, just like him. SpongeBob is brilliantly, sustainably silly. Goodbye, soft pink Patrick and other forgotten toys. Good riddance, Berenstain Bears.

Very soon, goodbye, Emma. Not long after, goodbye Sam. As my mother would say, write if you get work.

No comments:

Post a Comment