Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Chocolate Fondant

Day 167: Chocolate Fondant
I had big, big plans for this chocolate fondant. I was going to make a graduation cake, maybe carrot, maybe yellow, Emma's two favorites. I was going to bake the cake in an oven-safe stoneware bowl, so the cake would come out dome-shaped. I was going to decorate the cake to look like a ball, maybe a soccer ball, with half the hexagrams dark like chocolate. I was going to get some special crunchy sugary cake letters, several alphabets for all the B's. The cake was going to say "Ball State BFA Bound!" I was going to bake a second cake for Francesca, whatever her favorite flavor is, maybe a slightly smaller cake, with "Go Cardinals" on it, maybe in the shape of a bishop's cap, with red icing. I've never used fondant before, but I was going to learn.

What actually happened is, I called my mom the day before the grad party, not quite in a panic. "I need a cake!" Costco to the rescue, a yellow cake with whipped cream frosting. My mom got ahold of an icing pen somewhere and wrote "Congratulations, Emma, Francesca and Joe" (because my nephew Joe graduated from eighth grade that same week). 

Hey, there was a lot going on that weekend.

It's a little tempting now to eat the chocolate fondant. I love sweets. It's time for dessert, and we don't have any, unless I pick the M&M's out of the trail mix. But no. I won't sink so low.

I doubt Food Gatherers would accept the fondant. Is it really food? 

Free table at work. We'll see how long it hangs around.

No comments:

Post a Comment