Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Electric Toothbrush

Day 181: Electric Toothbrush
Since when have our toothbrushes looked more like flashlights than teeth cleaners? And why do we need external power sources to clean our teeth?

I bought these toothbrushes at the recommendation of our dentist, mostly for the kids. But neither they nor I could tolerate the jarring noise of it. It reminds me of a miniature leafblower. Like, who would choose a loud power tool over the quiet tranquil utility of a wooden-handled rake? It turns out that I personally do a better job on my teeth using my fist, an old-fashioned Colgate toothbrush and a two-minute egg-timer than with a battery operated Oral B anyway. 

On the other hand, regular toothbrushes are specifically named as a plastic item that is causing problems in the Doldroms. A really good ecocitizen would get bamboo toothbrushes from Whole Foods. Or better yet, the People's Food Coop. 

Sometimes you just have to go with personal preference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment