Friday, September 12, 2014

Clothes That Didn't Make the Cut

Day 177: Clothes That Didn't Make the Cut
This is the pile of clothes that we took with us in the car to Muncie, and that Emma wisely culled from her collection in the hotel room the night before move-in day. She was trying to strike that perfect balance between having enough to feel secure but not so much as to feel embarrassed. There are one or two shirts in the pile that she never wore, but for the most part these are stretched out of shape, torn or faded. Now that I am trying to be more focused on controlling the influx of stuff, I resolutely integrated none of these into my own wardrobe except one soft orange t-shirt from one of her last shows senior year. 

I feel a little nostalgic, thinking of that final night, though mostly lately when I think of Emma, I'm just pleased. She seems happy. I guess she chose well, not just her packing list but her program, her school and this next stage of life. Whew. And - woot woot!

You may have noticed that this pile of stuff was not selected today to be gotten rid of, and in the interest of full disclosure, there is about a month's worth of stuff piled up in the basement and our bedroom closet. I intend to get rid of it all, next time the football game is away, because it's just too much trouble to run errands on a game day. Rich is starting to notice that there are piles on things around that I haven't really gotten rid of. Soon, soon. 

But even though I have a lot of stuff in piles and boxes, I've still let go of it. The basement is just a staging area now for a bunch of things I no longer really own, a place for errands waiting to happen. 

Soon, soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment