Monday, September 22, 2014

Odd Mittens and Gloves

Day 186: Odd Mittens and Gloves
The Dalai Lama, in The Art of Happiness, suggests a certain mindfulness practice: cultivate awareness of a pleasing object without desiring to possess it, or even to speak of it. Notice the pleasing object, notice that you see and are pleased, and let it go. Pleasure - like the pleasure of obtaining something new - is not contentment. Contentment is happiness. 

Cultivate contentment. 

Such a habit of mind takes years to develop, of course, and as parents, perhaps it is our job to point out beautiful things. Still, to the extent that I am able to do it, it's freeing. Like lying in the grass and watching the clouds. Appreciating beauty without the pain of wanting. 

I do best with appreciating - but not covering - pretty skirts. The last few years, it seems like our town is full of pretty girls in pretty skirts, full ones that fit at the waist and have bright and lovely patterns. These pretty skirts are like a pebble for my pocket, Thich Nhat Hahn's recommended reminder for mindfulness. I am teaching myself simply to enjoy seeing the pretty skirt, but not think about what store it came from, or what it cost, or whether it is the right length for me. Just a cloud floating past,  soon to disperse. 

I would have done well to appreciate some of these gloves and mittens on the rack, without coveting, then purchasing, then losing them. I have a feeling that if I had only one pair, I'd never lose it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment